BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH LEMONCELLO CRÈME
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¾ cup minced onion
- 1 cup celery, cut
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarians)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- ½ cup evaporated skim milk
- ½ cup Gioia Luisa Lemoncello Crème
- Crusty French bread
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the Mirepoix (onion, celery and carrots), sauté until tender, approx. 5 minutes. Add fresh ginger, garlic, salt & pepper, sauté another 2-3 minutes. Add the butternut squash and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the stock, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the squash is soft to the spoon. Remove the cinnamon stick and then pour into food mill and mass the liquid through until all milled. If you don’t have a food mill, a food processor or blender can be used to mash the chunky soup into a slightly chunky soup.
- Return the soup to the sauce pan, stir in the evaporated skim milk and Gioia Luisa Lemoncello Crème.
Ladle into warm bowls and enjoy with crusty French bread.