GIOIA LUISA’S ITALIAN TRIFLE
- Traditionally, this is an English dessert featuring vanilla custard and raspberries. Gioia Luisa upgrades this into a wonderful Italian Trifle dessert that will make even the English blush in delight!
- 48 ladyfingers (sponge cake or white cake cut into pieces of any size may also be used)
- 2 – 10 oz pkgs. frozen mixed berries (slightly thawed and rinsed)
- Or 4 cups fresh mixed berries
- 1 – 10 oz jar quality raspberry preserves
- ¾ cup Gioia Luisa Pomecello
- 9 egg yolks (large eggs)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup Gioia Luisa Lemoncello Crème
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and Gioia Luisa Lemoncello Crème; set aside.
In heavy saucepan over medium heat, pour in milk and heavy cream, stirring constantly (to prevent from sticking to bottom of pan). Heat milk until bubbles form around the edges, and then remove from heat.
Take ½ cup of hot mixture and slowly whisk into the egg yolk mixture. Add a second ½ cup hot mixture into egg mixture. Add another ½ cup hot mixture into egg yolk mixture. Then take all the cooler mixture and whisk into remaining hot mixture. Do not reheat, for the egg mixture could coddle. Eggs will cook as hot mixture is poured into egg mixture. Set aside to cool or place into water bath to chill.
NOTE: If using dry packaged custard mixes (a great time saver!), the milk or cream to Gioia Luisa Lemoncello Crème ratio is 3 parts milk to 1 part GLLC. Sugar may not be need if using packaged custard mix; sweeten to your taste.
- LAYERING THE TRIFLE Steps for 1st Layer Arrange one quarter of the lady fingers in the bottom of a 2-3 quart serving bowl. If using glass bowl, make sure that each layer of ingredients touches the sided of the bowl so that the colors and textures can be seen.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup Gioia Luisa Pomecello
Spread with ½ of the preserves
Spread ¼ of the custard mix
- Steps for 2nd Layer
Arrange ¼ quarter of the lady fingers
Sprinkle ¼ cup Gioia Luisa Pomecello
Spread 1 – 10 oz bag of frozen mixed berries (2 cups fresh berries)Spread ¼ of the custard mix
- Repeat the assembly with remaining ladyfingers or cake piece, liqueur, preserves, fruit and custard for a total of 4 layers.
- WHIPPED TOPPING
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons Gioia
Luisa Lemoncello Crème
2 or 3 teaspoons sugar
Zest from 1 lemon
Whip the first 3 above ingredients until soft peaks form.
Spread cream on top of the 4-layered trifle. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and lemon zest.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (longer is better) or up to 24 hours before serving.
Light, cool and refreshing to be enjoyed year round!